World Championship For Women Brazil 2006

General ramblings and crankiness about the 2006 FIBA World Championship for Women. Occasional good read.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Trimming the Roster

With a little over two weeks until tipoff, it's time to cut down the roster and pick the 12 players who will represent Brazil in the FIBA World Championships in São Paulo. Three cuts were made in the last couple of days, so the roster is now down to 16 players. The latest victims of Barbosa's predictability were Jaqueline, Tayara and Graziane. So we basically cut two guards and one small forward. I agree with those cuts and I could see it coming from a mile away. Those players are projects.
I am worried about our aging frontcourt. The logjam at the 4 is eye-popping and quite unusual. Also, not necessarily a good thing as we don't want to challenge other post-heavy teams like the US and Russia if we don't have the outside game we used to have. I would be happy about having options at the frontcourt for a change if guard play weren't the decisive factor in international ball. A good zone will win you games. A pair of extraordinary guards will win you a World Championship title, but I digress.
We're still due for four more cuts. I have to believe we are cutting a couple of power forwards and another couple of guards (could be a couple of point guards, fingers crossed). And I have to pray Vivian is one of them. I can't go through another last second loss to freaking South Korea after beating Australia just because she wants to save a game that wasn't lost in the first place. I just can't. And I will be within shouting distance this time. But I really hope she's as far from the court as I will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home