World Championship For Women Brazil 2006

General ramblings and crankiness about the 2006 FIBA World Championship for Women. Occasional good read.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

World Champs Lacks Promotion

I could tell you right now that if I were to run a non-scientific poll consisting of only one simple question on the streets of São Paulo, I'd be faced with very disappointing results. And that one question would be:
"Do you know that the Women's Basketball World Championship is happening here in São Paulo next week?"
I'm pretty sure the number of negative answers would be about 90%, if not more based on the surprised faces at work when I mentioned I was going to miss a few days because of that. Everybody was like, "Wow, here in São Paulo? I had no idea!".
Brazilians like basketball. Very much. They've had success, they have stars, they have tradition in both the men's and women's tournaments.
The poor advertising and promotion combined with the disappoiting ticket sales (so far) could mean the Brazilians will have no homecourt advantage. That and the ridiculous game times in the middle of the afternoon in the financial capital of Brazil. This is a blue-collar town, nobody can escape work like that (I can, but I'll have to make up for that later. With my soul). My impression was corroborated by a story on UOL today about the World Champs and its being a non-event so far. It starts with FIBA itself. They are still redirecting traffic from their website to the official website for the Men's World Champs, which ended 5 days ago and is history. Also, the different features available on the website for the Men's tourney, such as webcasts and whatnot.
I don't want to be negative about this. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just sad too few people will have the chance to experience such a wondeful thing. And they don't even know it.

UOL story

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm surprised, and not. i found a message board some months ago on the site gringoes.com, based (far as i can tell) in são paulo, or at least a lot of the posters are foreigners living there. i was asking questions about the upcoming championship. no one knew what i was talking about. i'm gonna be positive about it, though, and hope that last-minute publicity will turn this around.

4:12 PM  
Blogger hanee said...

the FIBA website is a joke... they dont have any information about broadcasters carrying their game. Their team roster information also is lacking... stupid website..

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home