World Championship For Women Brazil 2006

General ramblings and crankiness about the 2006 FIBA World Championship for Women. Occasional good read.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

USA 119, China 72

Two crazy Brazilians and two crazy Americans braved the rush hour traffic to take on the USA versus China game in Barueri, which is supposedly a suburb of the Grand São Paulo, but it's just another city, actually.
The arena looks nice, I'd already been there, but I still don't like the seats. They're way too uncomfortable if you don't bring any padding to sit on. My back hurts today and I still have a bunch of games to attend there.
A surprisingly big and raucous Chinese crowd was there in their orange shirts waving their red flags. We caught the final 5 minutes of Cuba versus Chinese Taipei, a game that wasn't supposed to be that close, just like the one we had just watched, but I guess they forgot to tell the Taiwanese. I couldn't believe when I saw Yamilet Martinez was still playing. I think she's 50. Her profile says she's 26. Heck, I'm 26. She's Cuban, so she's definitely 50. The first time I saw her play I was 10 and she was already old then. That was the early 90's. Yamilet, can I have what you're drinking? I sure want to be 26 forever.
Cuba managed to win a game that was all but lost, so we were ready for some American basketball. The crazy Americans handed flags to the innocent children, a gesture of pure imperialism that I do not condone. Please, think of the children. By the way, I was given a flag, too. They definitely could care less about the children.
Then someone decided that Taiwan should play the US for good measure. They forgot or simply didn't know how to replace the 3-letter country code on the scoreboard. The Chinese fans pointed towards the scoreboard frantically trying to get the scorer's table guy to fix it to no avail. The game had a 20-minute delay due to the Herculean task of switching to China's country code. There's a bit of a rivalry going between the two nations, so that wasn't nice. How about a test run next time, guys?
Great, game started, the American players seemed a bit nervous, and they picked up quick fouls. Tina Thompson brought her game and her drama queen face to Brazil. Priceless. She sat on the bench the entire first half and by the end of the half, she was one of two Americans who hadn't scored. The Americans established their inside game early, moving the ball around and finding the open player effortlessly thanks to Sue Bird's inspired night. I knew Brazilians are known to inspire many things, I didn't know our effect on shooting percentages. Ok, now I do. Catchings played the passing lanes to perfection, limiting the Chinese ball movement and leaving them to try to vie for position with the American post players, which they couldn't do for obvious reasons.
I learn something new everyday. Like if you grab the opposing player's legs, that is not considered a foul apparently, but it was really funny. One of the Chinese posts was doing that all the time. It takes ankle biter to a whole new level.
Sheryl Swoopes got in the game in the first quarter. She could barely elevate, but that didn't stop her from playing smart ball. Distributing the ball and getting in position on the perimeter. She swished two 3-pointers and opened up things even more for the post players. She gave everyone a scare while diving for a loose ball to keep it from going out of bounds after the Americans were up by 30-plus points. Not really necessary, but my wild guess is that she was trying to be like Coop in that famous play we saw for years and years in the WNBA promos. Just be yourself, Diva. It's kind of funny how the Brazilians pronounce her name. Shoops. I think they're thinking it's the same as the drink, Schweppes.
How awesome is Candace Parker? It's even better that she's going to the Liberty. Donna Orender was in the house. I was using my Jedi mind tricks incessantly. That's a given. Always glad to help.
I was one of the several fans who wanted to see a dunk. Taurasi was a bit selfish going for a layup while she could've set up Parker for a monster dunk. I'm going tonight with hopes to seeing a dunk. I sure ain't going to see another massacre, which will inevitably happen.
Ford picked up where she left off. She was again the most physical player, generally bumping and pushing the Chinese under the basket. She dominated. The best lineup on the floor in my opinion was Bird, Taurasi, Augustus, Ford and Parker. That is the future and it looks bright. They were so in synch; you'd think they've been playing together since they were kids. Ford had just arrived. I look forward to seeing those 5 together again.
Bird didn't get much rest. I guess Anne Donovan could've let her rest more, but she wants her to get to know the team, so I understand it. She'll be wiped out by the end of the tournament though.
Taurasi's NBA-range 3 was great, but play of the game honors goes to CP15 for her crossover on the poor Chinese defender and layup. Pure talent. Second on my list was Bird's behind the back dribble and jumper. Her shooting form is completely, totally goofy, but she makes the baskets, so it works for her. In a Shawn Marion kinda way.
The massacre was complete by the end of the first half, but the Americans played consistently hard throughout the game. Tina Thompson came back to score 17 points after finishing the first half without a basket. That's effort.
A fun night, not a fun drive, but we're ready for more. And man, am I looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Boxcore

Recap

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much the inperson accounts liven the experience! You are very lucky to be hosting this event, and we are very lucky to have you reporting.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the report.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, keep it up..

3:30 AM  
Blogger BasketCases said...

Mel:

Thanks so much for doing this blog. Watching the games on NBA TV is one thing, but the in-person commentary is a special treat.

Hope you continue to enjoy yourself.

(We loved seeing Luuuuz hit that put back at the end of the Argentina game.)

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home